Hello! I’m Paris Buttfield-Addison! I’m an author, programmer, game designer, speaker, and occasional academic.
Here’s what I’m up to in 2018:
- studying a Diploma of Languages in Mandarin
- I want to learn Chinese!
- studying a Bachelor of Laws
- I want to get enough legal training that I can take care of most of the legal needs of myself, and my business.
- being a participant in the prestigious Tasmanian Leaders Program
- writing a lot of books and content for O’Reilly Media
Other things about me that you might want to know:
- I run Secret Lab, a mobile consulting and product development company, with Jon Manning. We’ve existed in some form or another since 2008.
- For clients, Secret Lab has built everything from acclaimed and award winning children’s games, such as the ABC Play School iPad games, and the Qantas Joey Playbox, to cooking apps, to interactive guides for world heritage listed former convict settlements, narrative frameworks for high-profile indie games like Night in the Woods, to music visualisers for Internet connected holiday lights.
- We’re currently working on a number of games of our own, including: Button Squid, a puzzle game.
- I live in beautiful Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 🇦🇺
- I am not looking for a job, and am definitely not willing to relocate (seriously, have you seen Tasmania?)
- I co-organise the /dev/world iOS and OS X developer conference.
- 2018 will be the 11th year of the event!
- Between 2009 and 2012 I worked for Meebo as a Software Engineer, and then Product Manager for their mobile software.
- Meebo for iPhone was a huge success, and featured on stage at Apple’s event for the launch of iPhone OS 3.0 (the previous name for iOS) in 2009
- Meebo was acquired by Google in 2012 🙃
- I write technical books (nearly twenty so far) for O’Reilly Media
- I previously wrote two books for Wiley, in their For Dummies series.
- I have a PhD in Computing 👨🏻🎓
- … as well as a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Medieval and Early Modern History, and a Bachelor of Computing with First Class Honours.
- I’m currently studying a Diploma of Languages to learn Chinese (Mandarin), as well as a Bachelor of Laws
- I collaborate on a number of research projects through the University of Tasmania, often with Professor Christopher Lueg.
- I am on the executive of AUC (formerly known as the Australasian Apple University Consortium), as well as the Tasmanian branch of the Australian Computer Society (ACS).
- I was a 2016 Gold Disruptor at the ACS Digital Disruptor Awards, which are part of the Reimagination Thought Leaders’ Summit.
- I enjoy speaking at conferences.
- I wish I had more time to take photos of things.
- I have a one-eyed terrier rescue dog, and a whippet.
You can download a (infrequently updated) copy of my résumé/CV here, if you need it for some reason.
Please do not contact me for recruitment purposes. I am currently not seeking new opportunities; should this change, I will update this notice accordingly. I am not willing to relocate.
My preferred bio, for use by conferences/events/etc., is:
Dr Paris Buttfield-Addison is co-founder of Secret Lab, a mobile development studio based in beautiful Hobart, Australia. Secret Lab builds games and game development tools, including the award-winning ABC Play School iPad games, Night in the Woods, and the Qantas Joey Playbox, and the YarnSpinner narrative game framework. Paris formerly worked as mobile product manager for Meebo (acquired by Google), has a degree in medieval history, a PhD in Computing, and writes technical books on mobile and game development for O’Reilly Media. He can be found on Twitter @parisba and online at http://paris.id.au
You can find me around the Internet on: